Submission Guidelines for Research Articles.
Manuscripts submitted to the Journal of Economic Insight must not be under consideration at another journal. All manuscripts must constitute original work and should reference similar work that has been done on the subject. Manuscripts should not exceed 10,000 words (including tables and figures). Submission fee payments are due at the time of submission.
Submission of manuscripts that were presented at an annual meeting of the Missouri Valley Economic Association have a $25 submission fee. All other manuscripts have a $50 submission fee. The submission fee should be paid by a check payable to the Missouri Valley Economic Association and be mailed to the editor.
Christopher Douglas, Department of Economics,
University of Michigan-Flint,
303 E. Kearsley St., 220 French Hall
Flint, MI 48502-1950
Instructions for Submission
Papers should either be submitted electronically (PDF or word format) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit three paper copies of the manuscript (along with submission fee) to the address above.
Include author names and affiliations on the first page of the submission, indicating the corresponding author.
The Journal of Economic Insight follows the Chicago Manual of Style. The basic guidelines for initial review include:
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced.
- Manuscripts should be typeset in 12-point Times New Roman (or similar) font with at least 1 inch margins.
- All pages should be serially numbered.
- Section headings should be given in Roman numerals, beginning with section “I. Introduction.” Subsections should be lettered “A,” “B,” etc.
- Equations should be typed on separate lines and numbered consecutively at the right-hand side margin using Arabic numerals in parentheses.
The title page should include each author’s name, affiliation, contact information, and acknowledgements. No other author identifying information should be included elsewhere in the manuscript.
Provide an abstract of no more than 150 words. Also provide relevant JEL codes and 3-5 keywords separated by semi-colons.
Tables and Figures
- Each Table and Figure (graphic) should appear on a separate page and should be placed at the end of the text. Each should bear an Arabic number.
- A reference to each Table or Figure should be made in the text.
- Use the “Author-Date” system. For in-text citations list all authors up to two; use et al. for three or more authors – e.g., (Johnson and Smith 2005), (Johnson et al. 2009).
- Use “p.” or “pp.” to denote page numbers for quotations – e.g., (Johnson and Smith 2005, p. 15).
- Arrange the reference list in alphabetical order according to surname of the first author or name of institution responsible for the citation. List authors for each citation, even when the previous citation has the same author(s).
- In listing more than one name in references always use a comma before "and."
- Dates of publications should be placed immediately after authors' names.
- Multiple works by the same author should be listed in chronological order of publication. Two or more works by the same author in the same year are distinguished by letters after the date.
Footnotes should be numbered consecutively throughout the manuscript with superscript Arabic numerals. Once papers are accepted for publication, authors will have to convert footnotes to endnotes for the printer.
If you have any questions contact the editorial office.